Wednesday, July 1, 2009

World of hurt


July 1, 2009
I am pretty sore this morning. My legs were screaming when I got out of bed this morning. While walking Ruby, my dachshund, she tore out after a cat on a downhill slope and I cringed as I ran down the hill trying to keep her pace. I hope my recovery spin helps the pain. I'm heading out shortly.

June 30, 2009
I took the CervĂ©lo out with the Quarq power meter. I did a quick test on my road and all seemed to be working fine, so I decided to do my training ride on this bike. I choose a moderate climb of 2-4% for the LT workout. I got in a good warm-up and hit the climb hard. I was amazed how good I felt. I stayed in the big ring for the entire workout, spinning at about 90 rpm. I did the first 15 minute interval with ease. I could feel that I was going hard from the pain in the legs, but I still felt really good. I turned around and blasted down the hill to get ready for the second interval. I started out strong again, but soon found it hard to maintain my desired watts without a very concentrated mental effort. I would find myself drifting from the average I needed to maintain and have to kick up the pace to get there. By the end of the interval I managed to lose only 3 watts on my average from the first interval. I welcomed turning around for the downhill ride. I knew I was cooked when I could not get up to speed on the descent. Once off the climb I shifted to the small ring and spun home. I had nothing left. The gradual, but tough climb that I always face on the road I live on was no fun. I was in my highest gear and really digging deep to get home. Once there, I had a recovery drink and got out the “stick” to roll my legs. This was very painful. This self torture is to push the lactic acid from the muscles to improve and promote recovery of the muscles. It is always painful, but beneficial. I had a knot in my right quad that was particularly difficult. I winced every time I pulled the stick across this knot. I was able to reduce it a bit, but I still have a knot there. I will continue to work on it tomorrow before my recovery ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment