Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tour of Possum Creek Road Race

What a weekend. I went out for a quick ride Friday night just to open up the legs. I did a little over an hour. No major stress on the legs, just 10 sets of spin ups. I got home, showered, loaded my gear and headed to Kingsport, TN. My race was just across the TN/VA line in Yuma, VA. The drive was not bad and I had a primo spot waiting for me on the floor of a hotel room occupied by 2 team mates. I threw down a padded exercise mat, a pillow and a blanket. Home, sweet, home. We were shocked that the hotel did not have VS. This meant no Tour de France coverage. Bummer! Luckily I’d seen the day’s Stage at work via streaming video on my computer. The other 2 had not been so lucky and were really bummed. We talked and carried on for a couple hours before, one by one, we gave in to the need for sleep. We had to be up for an early breakfast, a short drive to the start of the race and hopefully a good warm-up before the race.
Saturday we were up and out of the hotel heading to a Waffle House for breakfast. Go figure that one. I had brought my food and already had a bagel with peanut butter and a bowl of cereal. I just wanted a couple of eggs for some additional protein. Of course, my eggs came with grits, toast and coffee. Who am I to waste food? I knew immediately I’d regret eating so much even though I still have almost 2 hours before the race. My standard practice is to eat 3 hours prior to an event and have a shot of energy gel about 15 minutes before the start. That was already out the window.
We arrived at the race venue in only a few minutes. We were registered and pinning on our numbers in a matter of minutes. One of my team mates’ race started a half hour sooner than mine. I got my gear together and set out for a warm up ride and to get a look at the approach to the finish. There was a nasty patch of loose gravel right in the intersection of the last left hand turn before the finish. I told the race organizer and I saw him shortly after heading that way with a push broom.
Against my better judgment, I tried a new energy drink in one water bottle, untested prior to this race.
I regretted this after only a couple of sips. I tried to dilute it, as it was way too strong. I should have just gone with water.
The race started about 20 minutes behind schedule. The pace was not all out from the gun as I expected. This was a nice surprise. I quickly moved toward the front and settled in about a third of the way from the front. We were going about 24-25 mph at this point. Within the first 5 miles one rider flatted. He was able to change wheels and get back to the group with the help of one of his team mates.
One unusual thing about this course was a left turn that took us into a tunnel. Well, it was actually an underpass with a concrete divider separating the lanes. I don’t think it was planned, but on each of the 2 laps, riders went on both sides as we went through. I always took the right side as that was the correct lane of traffic. Luckily, we never face oncoming traffic in that area. The roads were open for traffic, so this was a possibility. Weather conditions were really good. The temperature was in the high 70’s for the start.
The race started heating up with accelerations and several breaks. They were all brought back pretty quickly. I was quite happy with my performance because I was able to stay with the group and match all the accelerations. The first lap was basically uneventful. I was just staying very attentive and watching everything that was happening. I was saving energy by staying tucked into the draft of the other riders. I was able to snag a bottle of water at the feed zone. I chugged it down pretty quickly, tossed the bottle and it was back to business. The wind picked up on the second lap and created a bit of a challenge as it was a crosswind that angled from the front/left of the group. It was hard to find that sweet spot in the draft. There were 3 predominate teams in the bunch. I knew they were the ones to watch. I had all sorts of scenarios running in my head as to how this race would play out. I felt sure it would come down to a bunch sprint finish. One team had five riders and I was certain they would be the team to beat. I was almost certain that I could not win in the final sprint, but I was also unsure of my ability to make a breakaway stick. I felt really good, but once out front on your own, energy would be sapped quickly. Well, sometimes, you just take the hand you are dealt. About 5 k to go we started up one of the last climbs. There was one rider off the front about 25 meters. As we went up the climb I found myself moving up through the group with what seemed like little effort. I passed everyone, including the guy off the front. I felt sure he would jump on my wheel. He didn’t. As I crested the hill, I looked back and no one was on my wheel. There was actually a gap opening up. One again, I knew I could not win in a field sprint with this group, so, I put my head down, got in the drops and dropped the hammer. I took a flyer and it was on. I had to give it all I had and hope for the best. I hit over 30 mph on this short gradual descent. I glanced over my shoulder or under my arm every so often to see where the peloton was. I pushed as hard as I could. My legs were screaming! I was averaging about 27 mph and trying my best to go faster. At 2 k to go I could tell the group was getting closer. I was not going to make it to the line ahead of them. I was determined that I would not get spit out the back. I would finish with the group somehow. At 1k to go I was swept up by the bunch. I stood to accelerate and stay with them. NOOOO protested my legs. I was immediately back in the saddle and hammering all I had left to turn the pedals faster. I managed to lock on before getting passed by all the riders. I stood again to sprint for the line. 2 riders in front of me seemed to give up, which was their mistake and lucky for me. I was able to sprint past them and gain a couple more places in the finish. I left EVERYTHING I had on the road. I was completely cooked. I was sure I was going to lose my breakfast but the feeling passed as I slowed the pace and continued spinning to clear the lactate acid from my legs and cool down. I had several riders come by saying things like, they thought I was gone for sure, great move, strong effort and one guy I have ridden with on training rides said he was the lead rider chasing me down. He said they were pushing 28-30 mph to make the catch. Though I placed 16th in the field, I think this was a very successful race. I was able to stay with the pack, conserve energy, match all the accelerations, get in a solo break for 3k, finish with the group and still finish ahead of other riders. A little over 2 hours and 57 miles later, I was pumped, (after I was able to breathe again). I had lunch with my team mates and headed home that afternoon very content with the day’s events.

No comments:

Post a Comment