Friday, July 31, 2009

Does rain make you faster?

I rushed home, kitted up and got on the road as quickly as possible to beat the impending rain. There were dark clouds hanging low in the direction I intended to ride, so I altered my plans and went toward the National Park. I was at the end of my 30 minute warm-up when the rain started falling. I started my isolated leg drills and the rain began DUMPING. I pedaled harder. Does rain make you faster? I think it may. I got in 2 or 3 sets before I pulled off to take shelter from the deluge. It was sunny just a ways down the road so I knew this wouldn't last too long. I sat for only 5 or 6 minutes before it slacked up and I set off again. I was able to finish the 10 sets and make my way back home under dry skies. My biggest challenge of the day was the hill of truth. Since the major dumpage of rain, the road was completely saturated and traction was at a minimum. This is multiplied by the grade of the hill. I could not stand on the climb making the effort more labored due to the seated position. I tried to stay in the middle of the road where the asphalt was not so smooth from years of car traffic. This helped, but I still could not stand for very long without spinning the rear wheel. I could get maybe 2 pedal cranks and have to sit back down. I was only out for about an hour, but I got the work done and felt pretty accomplished considering everything. It was sunny and blazing hot when I arrived back at home, go figure...

No comments:

Post a Comment