Monday, July 6, 2009

Weekend watts & the Tour

Saturday’s workout was not fun. It was very hard to maintain LT for each 20 minute set. Just like last time, I had to fight on the second set to keep my power output where I wanted. Plus these sets were 5 minutes longer than my last session at LT. I am still fighting with some chest congestion and I had a coughing attack during the second set which made it really hard to maintain the effort. I may have left part of a lung on the road. It felt as if I did anyway.
I managed to nail the first set, spot on, but my average dropped by 5 watts on the second. I still averaged in the upper part of my LT zone, but I’d like to get into the very top end of that zone. There were very few cyclists on the road Saturday afternoon. I guess most got their ride in Saturday morning in order to celebrate the 4th. I only saw 5 others on the road in the 2+ hours I was training.
I didn’t make it out for a spin Sunday. I choose to practice full recovery as opposed to active recovery. I watched Stage 2 of the Tour. I will get in an active recovery ride this afternoon if the weather allows. The forecast is for afternoon rain and thunder showers. I doubt an easy effort would be enjoyable in the rain. I’ll opt for the trainer if the storms move in as predicted.
There is a race this weekend but I have not committed to it at this point. I may just train this weekend. I will have to make that decision soon as the race is pre-register only.

No comments:

Post a Comment