Monday, June 8, 2009

Training, raining and climbing


June 6, 2009
Race day. This was a hard, mostly uphill race. I managed to stay with the main field and stay up front most of the day. I helped chase down a few breaks and did my share of rotations at the front. At about 21 miles into this 30 mile race we had, what we thought, was one rider off the front. We put in an effort to reel him in. Once we caught him, he let us know there were 2 more riders off the front. They were approximately 80 seconds out. The group really kicked up the tempo to pull those guys back. I stayed with them for about a mile and knew if I kept up this pace I would blow up long before the top of this 9 mile climb. I started backing off to my own pace and drifted to the back of the lead group. Then the elastic started to stretch and eventually broke. I was in no man’s land between the front group and those who had long been off the back. Over the remainder of the climb I managed to pass a few of the riders as they were spit out the back of the lead pack. A few riders were able to catch me as well. I finished 24th out of the field of 35. I had hoped to finish in the top 20, but I can’t complain. I felt very strong for most of the race and finished feeling okay.
It was a good day. 30 miles, 1 hour, 58 minutes racing and 6,451 feet of climbing. Not a bad day. There was still the 30 mile ride back to the parking lot. It was a very fast, fun and cold descent. I was starving by the time we got to the car. FOOD was all I could think about. I told my 2 teammates it was time to EAT!

June 5, 2009
Off, racing tomorrow, so no riding today.

June 4, 2009
An hour of form sprints on the trainer tonight. More rain falling outside. Indoor training sucks!

June 3, 2009
Another long tempo ride today. 75 minutes instead of 60. I left under cloudy skies only to be met with rain 15 minutes into my warm-up. I turned around and headed in the opposite direction hoping to skit the rain. 20 minutes later I was getting wet. I was already into the meat of the workout, so I decide to push on. The skies opened up and I was in a deluge of driving rain, thunder, lightning and wind. Debris was all over the roads in a matter of minutes. I came upon a downed power line at one point on the ride. As I pushed on, cold and soaked to the bone, the clouds gave way to sun. Behind me was dark and nasty looking, but it was clear as a bell ahead. I rode to a friend’s house to borrow some chamois cream, as mine was all washed away at this point. After a quick visit I was back on the road to finish the workout. I managed to miss any more rain on the way back home. I put in 2 hours, 19 minutes and 43.14 miles. Despite the weather I felt really good on the bike.

June 2, 2009
No time for a ride today. Very disappointed.

June 1, 2009
75 minutes of easy spinning today. I did 23.71 miles with nice sunny weather.

May 31, 2009
Today was a planned 3 hour ride with 60 minutes of ride. I was only able to put in about 2 hours which yielded 37.21 miles. I definitely felt this one when I was finished. Great muscular endurance training.

May 30, 2009
I got in a little over 2 hours of easy spinning today. 38.54 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment